Today I'm going to share with you my go to recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting. It's delicious and so easy to make. And it looks great piped on a double chocolate chip cupcake.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Recipe from I am Baker
- 2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks) at room temp.
- 7 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or one 2 lb bag)
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk or heavy cream
This recipe makes a ton of frosting so if you are only making one batch of cupcakes you may need to cut it in half.
- Place room temperature butter and vanilla into a stand mixer and beat at medium-high for about three minutes. You want it to appear lighter and fluffier.
- While butter is in the mixer add powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt to a bowl and mix with a whisk. (sift)
- With the mixer off, add in one cup of the powdered sugar and cocoa mixture. Turn mixer on low and slowly add in remaining powdered sugar mixture, one cup at a time.
- With mixer still on low, add in milk. Turn mixer to medium high and blend for at least two minutes.
- Frosting will appear very light, but it will darken as it sets.
If I'm planning to use this for a party sometimes I make it a few days in advance and store it in the refrigerator. I just set it out on the counter and let it warm back up to room temperature before frosting. Delish!